Hi from the skies! I’m currently en route from Milwaukee to Louisiana and splurged for the in-air wifi. It’s 7 a.m., and I am legitimately contemplating pulling out the leftover Strawberry Farro Salad with Avocado and Feta that I have packed in my carry on.
Wholesome, simple, and filled with healthy ingredients, this strawberry farro salad was what I was craving on Tuesday night, my one evening at home during a multi-week travel spree.
Fortunately, this farro salad is so simple to make, I was able to throw it together in the midst of packing, and it’s so scrumptiously addictive, I couldn’t bear to leave the leftovers behind.
Strawberry Farro Salad for All Occasions
Whether you are looking for a healthy, easy meal, a slam-dunk side for a summer potluck or Mother’s Day, or bought way too many strawberries at the grocery store this week (been there, done that), you’ll be reluctant to abandon the leftovers too.
I absolutely adore traveling and dining out, but when I’m gone for long periods, I miss being in my kitchen and eating well-balanced meals like this strawberry farro salad. It, along with simply grilled chicken, was the perfect “last dinner” at home before I took off for the airport again.
The beauty of this summer salad is its balance of ingredients and textures.
The farro is delightfully nutty and chewy (if you haven’t tried farro, please, please do—it’s wonderful, healthy, and available in just about any grocery store or Amazon), the strawberries are fresh and sweet, the feta and avocado are creamy and satisfying, and the walnuts add warmth and crunch.
For the dressing, I made a simple balsamic vinaigrette, then stirred in a touch of honey and poppy seeds.
You could make the dressing without the poppy seeds, but the two—poppy seed dressing and strawberry salad—are inseparable in my mind, so I couldn’t resist. I love the little specs of color and tiny crunch the poppy seeds add to every forkful.
More Delicious Strawberry and Avocado Recipes
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
I finished off this farro salad recipe with a few handfuls of fresh spinach for color and an extra serving of veggies. My only regret: I didn’t pack an extra serving for the flight home!
Strawberry Farro Salad with Avocado and Feta
For the farro salad:
- 3/4 cup uncooked farro
- 1 pint strawberries hulled and quartered
- 2 medium avocados diced
- 3 cups loosely packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- Prepare farro according to package instructions. Place in a serving bowl and let cool while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Prepare the dressing: In a small bowl, whisk together all of the ingredients until combined: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, mustard, poppy seeds and salt. Taste and adjust seasoning as desired. Pour over the farro, then toss to coat.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl with the farro: strawberries, avocados, spinach, feta, red onion, and walnuts, then toss gently to combine. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register