Every year when I bite into the first summer tomato, I wonder what on earth it is I’ve been eating the whole rest of the year. It’s a feeling I can compare to slicing into a perfectly ripe avocado: the delicious sensation of striking ingredient gold. Here to celebrate them both, I have a light and refreshing Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad.
Cucumber tomato salad is part crunchy, part creamy, and entirely what I crave when the days are hot and the nights are sunny and long.
- Like my favorite Creamy Cucumber Salad, it’s refreshing and crisp, never soggy, and is begging to be topped with fresh herbs.
- The veggies in this avocado salad—cucumber, red onion, and whatever tomatoes in your garden or at the market look best—are lively and complement each other.
- The avocado is buttery and luscious.
- The lime dressing is zippy and ties the salad together like a bright citrus bowl.
Make this simple salad tonight for dinner, and serve it with some simply grilled chicken. Tomorrow, toss the leftovers with arugula and chickpeas and enjoy them for a healthy lunch.
However you choose to serve this cucumber avocado tomato salad, just promise me that you won’t wait too long to try it.
5 Star Review
“This IS my favorite new salad! And I agree with other reviewers – the dressing is soooo delish! Perfect.”— Lou —
How to Make Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
Just about everything you need to know about this tasty tomato cucumber avocado feta salad, you can learn from the name. Don’t overthink it.
The magnificent thing about summer recipes like this tomato cucumber salad (and my Asian Cucumber Salad too) is how simple they are.
We’re taking the bounty of the season, dressing it up in a lively citrus vinaigrette, and wondering how on earth life got to be this easy and this good.
The best part? Cucumber and tomato salad is good for you too!
The cucumber tomato avocado salad calories are low, and almost all of the ingredients have wonderful nutritional value.
- Tomatoes. Pick ones that are juicy and ripe. When in doubt, I recommend cherry tomatoes or grape tomatoes, since they are almost always sweet (even slightly out of season). Tomatoes are rich in vitamin C.
- Cucumber. You can put cucumber and tomatoes together, and it’s delish! I like an English cucumber here because you don’t need to peel it. Crisp cucumber is delicious, keto-approved, has a high water content, and is rich in antioxidants.
If you have a regular cucumber, peel it first (use a vegetable peeler like this one or better yet, a Y-shaped peeler like this one), split it down the center, and scoop out any large seeds.
- Red Onion. My favorite raw red onion tip: thinly slice the onion, then soak it in water for a few minutes before adding it to the salad. This preserves its flavor while mitigating the harsh, lingering aftertaste.
- Avocado. The creamy avocado texture is a lovely contrast to the crispness of the cucumber. Plus, tomatoes and avocado together are delightful. Since avocado is rich in fiber and healthy fats, it makes the salad more filling and satisfying too.
- Feta Cheese. You can omit it in a pinch, but the recipe is truly delicious as a tomato avocado feta salad. The feta adds more creaminess and a salty element.
- Fresh Herbs. I like cilantro or dill, but any tender fresh herbs will work here. A tomato cucumber avocado basil salad is next on my list.
- The Dressing. The avocado cucumber salad dressing is a quick whisk of lime juice, extra-virgin olive oil, honey, salt, black pepper, and garlic. It takes moments, brings the ingredients together, and goes smashingly with avocado.
- Soak the red onions in water, then drain.
- Whisk up the dressing.
- Add all the salad ingredients to a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the top, and toss to coat. Top with feta, and DIG IN!
- Mexican Avocado Salad. Customize this salad with some delicious add-ins like jalapeno or corn and use cilantro as the fresh herb (take inspiration from my Grilled Corn Salad). Try swapping the feta for queso fresco.
- Chicken Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad. Add protein to take this from side dish to full meal. Shredded chicken is a simple and delicious addition.
Cut this recipe time even further by swapping in precooked chicken or leftover chicken made with one of these easy methods (or use store-bought rotisserie chicken):
- Baked. Baked Chicken Breast or Baked Bone-In Chicken Breast
- Shredded. How to Cook Shredded Chicken, Crock Pot Shredded Chicken, or Instant Pot Chicken
- Air Fryer. Air Fryer Chicken Breast or Air Fryer Whole Chicken
- Grilled. Grilled Chicken Breast or Smoked Chicken Breast
- Go Green. Mix the leftovers with arugula, kale, or spinach for a green salad with avocado. I’d suggest making a little extra of the dressing to make sure you have enough to properly coat it.
- Avocado Salad without Tomatoes. Try this Watermelon Feta Salad with Mint Avocado and Lime for a delicious fruit and avocado salad without tomatoes.
- Mango Avocado Salad Recipe. For a tropical twist, add 1 cup chopped mango to this salad.
- To Store. Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. The avocado will brown slightly, and the vegetables will become more liquidy, but the salad will still taste delicious. You can also perk the leftovers back up with a squirt of extra lime juice and sprinkle of salt.
- Add diced Grilled Chicken Tenders or flaked Pan Seared Salmon to your leftovers for a boost of protein.
- Serve leftovers over a bed of lettuce for a green salad.
- You could also add the leftovers to a serving of cooked, cooled whole wheat pasta for a pasta salad version.
What to Serve with Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
Chicken Caesar Wrap
Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
Recommended Tools to Make this Recipe
- Citrus Juicer. Makes light work of juicing lemons and limes.
- Non-Slip Cutting Board. This one won’t slip out from under you while you’re chopping the ingredients for this creamy avocado tomato cucumber salad.
- Mixing Bowls. You can mix and serve your salad in these beautiful bowls.
I hope this healthy, top-rated cucumber tomato avocado salad adds a note of lightness and brightness to your week!
Frequently Asked Questions
Prep the salad up to 6 hours in advance, and give it a big stir just before serving. I don’t recommend putting avocado in salad the night before, as it will turn brown. To deter the avocado from turning brown, I like to add it immediately before serving.
While we enjoy this salad dressing with lime juice, other readers have reported success with swapping in lemon juice instead.
If you don’t enjoy the taste of cilantro, you can simply swap an herb you do enjoy. I think basil, dill, or parsley would be tasty.
Yes, this salad is gluten free as written. If you need to make this salad keto friendly, you could swap the honey for a different, approved liquid sweetener. To make vegan, omit the feta.
While we love the cucumber tomato avocado salad dressing in this recipe, you could swap it out if you prefer. I think a tomato avocado salad balsamic would be tasty (swap in a balsamic vinaigrette).
Cucumber Tomato Avocado Salad
FOR THE CUCUMBER TOMATO AVOCADO SALAD:
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large English cucumber quartered lengthwise and sliced
- 1 pint halved cherry tomatoes about 2 cups
- 2 medium avocados peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese divided
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro (or dill)
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice from about 2 small limes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 cloves minced garlic (about 1 teaspoon)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the sliced red onions in a small bowl and cover them with cold water (this helps remove some of the onions’ harsh bite).
- In a small bowl or large measuring cup, whisk together the dressing ingredients: Lime juice, olive oil, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper.
- In a very large bowl, place the cucumbers, tomatoes, avocado, half of the feta, and cilantro. Drain the red onion, then add it to the bowl. Pour the dressing over the top, then stir very gently to combine. Sprinkle the remaining feta over the top. Enjoy immediately or cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 4 hours. Give the mixture a gentle stir just before serving.
- TO STORE: Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 1 day. The avocado will brown slightly and the vegetables will become more liquidy, but the salad will still taste delicious.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up
Looks very healthy and yummy. I can easily make this at home.
Thanks for this.
Thank you for sharing, Raushan! I’m SO happy you like this recipe!
This was excellent! The dressing is perfect top!
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, D Neal! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
This is SO GOOD. We served it with grilled chicken, but it could have been its own meal, its that tasty and filling. Definitely on our repeat list!
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Brenda! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
Love this dish, yummy and easy to make! Thank you
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Yumi! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
This IS my favorite new salad! And I agree with other reviewers- the dressing is soooo delish! Perfect. Thanks Erin!
YAY, I am so pleased to hear it! Thanks for sharing this lovely review!
I knew this was going to be good when I read the ingredients, but after making it I can say it still exceeded my expectations. The combination of flavors is just perfect. I enjoyed a big bowl of it topped with shredded rotisserie chicken for dinner and I’m going to try mixing the rest of it with chickpeas and arugula for lunch tomorrow.
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Sarah! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
Very easy to make, and so delicious! I didn’t have limes on hand, but had lemons. It is SO good!! Will definitely be making again!!
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Rose Ann! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
So fresh and tasty. Make this and you won’t care what else is for dinner!
So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your kind review Barbara!
Kids and adults both love this salad! Served it to company last night and was asked for the recipe. Thanks for this, I look forward to making it more often!
So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for your kind review Cathy!
Great refreshing salad. So easy to make and so yummy. A new favorite..
Hi Cassie! So glad you enjoyed this salad! Thank you for this kind review!
I added radish, mango and arugula. Delicious!
Hi Lisa! So glad you enjoyed the salad! Thank you for this kind review!
I have made this 3 times. Love it!!!
Hi Jacquie! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
These recipes all sound wonderful! The ingredients will on my next grocery list. I’ll add fresh basil too since that’s what grown for me more. I’m a Clarke too. You are the first person I’ve come across in all my 68 years with the same last name😊
Hi Claudia Clarke! ;) So glad you are following along! Hope you enjoy the salad!
My new favorite cucumber, tomato salad! Thanks!
Hi Karen! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
This was so good! The dressing is amazing, I basically licked the bowl at the end.
Hi Marina! So glad you enjoyed the salad! Thank you for this kind review!
This recipe was so easy and the best thing was the tip about the red onions in cold water to take the bite out of raw red onions. Also, the dressing was easy and delicious.
Everyone at the party wanted this recipe……I also added some sliced beets because I had some in frid
Hi Leslie! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
This is my favorite! And now my friends want the recipe
Hi Marsha! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
Made this salad hundreds of time different dressings. Really enjoyed the dressing. A keeper thanks.
Hi Ella! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
This was delicious, so bright and fresh for the summer. Paired it with green beans and a grilled London broil. I used scallions instead of the red onion because it’s what I had on hand and added some corn. It was a definite winner and will surely make it again.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Aimee! Thank you for sharing this kind review!