Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
All aboard the fresh express! It’s time for Mediterranean Chickpea Salad. This is simple chickpea salad is uplifting, filling, and one of my absolute favorite meals to have waiting in my refrigerator for healthy lunches. It tastes fab at room temperature, making it an MVP recipe for potlucks and dinner parties. No matter what the weather is doing outside, it puts me in a summer state of mind.
Made with bell peppers of all colors, fresh herbs, crisp cucumber, and creamy feta, every bite tastes of warm, sunny moments. Protein- and fiber-rich chickpeas make it a hearty vegetarian main, or you can serve it as an easy side with chicken, fish, or shrimp.
This Mediterranean Chickpea Salad is a recipe I usually save for summer, but I caught myself craving it incessantly earlier this week.
I also caught myself “investing” a not-insignificant chunk of my afternoon looking into flights from Milwaukee to [insert warm weather destination here] without much luck. Coincidence? The thermometer suggests not.
If you are craving a fresh escape as much as I am, give this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad recipe a spin. It might not be a trip to the beach, but it will brighten your day more than you expect.
We’ve been eating a fair amount of heavy comfort food lately, so I was delighted by how much making something lighter perked up my afternoon…and I was even more delighted to have the leftovers tucked in my refrigerator for fast, healthy meals on demand!
My Favorite Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
This easy chickpea salad is one of those glorious no-cook meals that hardly needs a recipe. Similar to this chickpea salad sandwich and chickpea tuna salad, it makes the best of pantry staples (hi, chickpeas) and fresh ingredients.
The fresh ingredients are ones I often associate with the Mediterranean (and the really good Greek salad from my favorite Mediterranean restaurant back home).
- Bell peppers. Sweet, colorful crunch.
- Crisp cucumber. Every time I eat it, I wonder why I don’t have it more often. It makes every meal you serve it with taste fresh.
- Creamy feta cheese. Best things in life.
- Parsley. Fresh herbs like parsley are a little addition that make a big difference. It gives this chickpea salad a complete, polished taste you’d miss without it.
The chickpea salad dressing is a 30-second red wine vinaigrette that you can shake together right in a mason jar. Theatrical overhead pour optional but encouraged.
The other serious ingredient star here is chickpeas. They’re high in fiber and protein, inexpensive, and incredibly versatile.
You can use chickpeas for burgers (like these Mediterranean Quinoa Burgers), in a spicy chickpea salad (like this Moroccan Chickpea Salad—it’s an exotic, warm spicy versus a burn-your-mouth hot spicy).
You can also eat chickpeas from the can, though I’m hoping you’ll take things a step further and combine them with fresh ingredients to make this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad!
Ways to Serve Chickpea Salad
- Enjoy it on its own, right out of the bowl. The chickpeas make it plenty filling for a light and lovely meal.
- If you wanted to up the veggies even more, you could toss this chickpea salad with fresh greens (arugula is my favorite), then add on a bit of extra dressing to create a green salad.
- Chickpea salad with avocado. Add big chunks of fresh avocado and halved cherry tomatoes for additional servings of healthy fats and colorful veggies.
- Chickpea Salad Pitas. Stuff it inside warmed, halved whole wheat pita bread.
I hope this Mediterranean Chickpea Salad recipe breaths some freshness into your week and variety into your healthy meal routine. If you try it, I’d love to hear what you think! Let me know in the comments section below. Your feedback is so important to me. ♥
Mediterranean Chickpea Salad
FOR THE SALAD:
- 1/2 cup finely diced red onion — about 1/2 small
- 2 cans reduced-sodium chickpeas — (15-ounce cans), rinsed and drained
- 1 1/2 cups chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley — about 1 bunch
- 1 red bell pepper — chopped
- 1 orange bell pepper — or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper — chopped
- 1/2 large seedless cucumber — chopped (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta — about 4 ounces
FOR THE DRESSING:
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic — minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Place the onions in a bowl of cool water and let them soak while you prepare the other ingredients (this removes the harsher bite from the onions, while still giving great flavor).
Place the chickpeas, parsley, bell peppers, cucumber, and feta in a large serving bowl.
In a small mixing bowl or large measuring cup, stir together the dressing ingredients: olive oil, red wine vinegar, garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Drain the red onions and add them to the chickpea mixture, then pour the dressing over the top. Toss to combine. If time allows, let marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or enjoy immediately.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Serving ideas: This salad is lovely as is, but to transform it into a main dish, try it stuffed inside pita pockets with hummus and mashed avocado or add grilled chicken and serve it over salad greens with an extra squire of lemon juice and drizzle of olive oil.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 (of 8), about 1 1/2 cups) — Calories: 169, Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 466mg, Carbohydrates: 21g, Fiber: 6g, Sugar: 2g, Protein: 9g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.