I would like to be the kind of person who does yoga. I’m eating Quinoa, Chickpea, and Almond Salad with Roasted Scallion Dressing instead.
Each morning I would walk barefoot to a lush, spacious park and spread my yoga mat beneath a tree. I’d greet the sunrise with my limber poses and tranquil mind. I’d never bother with make up (Yoga Erin has flawless, dewy skin), never ingest high fructose corn syrup, and never-ever allow life’s annoyances to disrupt my inner peace. Even you, woman beside me at the office who constantly yaks at inappropriate volumes: I can handle you.
In reality, I hit the snooze, hope my blush covers the lines my bed pillow leaves on my cheek, and tinker with the idea of smashing my chatty cube neighbor’s phone over her…chair. At least I packed Quinoa, Chickpea, and Almond Salad with Roasted Scallion Dressing for lunch.
Yes, that recipe title is nine words long—and you are going to love every one. This is a throw-together on Sunday, then love yourself all week at lunch salad. (Two other of my favorite salads that fit the bill: Moroccan Chickpea Salad and Mediterranean Chickpea Salad!) Let’s go through our super-food-and-flavor-studded line up, shall we?
First up: our grains and proteins. Quinoa and bulgur—100% whole grain goodies—are filled with fiber, and your tummy will thank you for them. Chickpeas (which you may remember once inspired me to write poetry) and toasted almonds provide lean protein. Plus, they taste delicious. We’re adding them too.
Next on the flavor train, we have our taste-makers: a fresh combo of green onions (scallions), lemon, parsley, and red onion. We’ll be roasting the scallions and turning them into a bright, summery dressing. No boring salad for us.
Toss it all together and we have a fresh, super-food salad that is filling, flavorful, and feels darn good to eat.
I’ve never done yoga at dawn, but I envision that accomplished feeling of lightness, balance, and overall radiance would taste exactly like Quinoa, Chickpea, and Almond Salad with Roasted Scallion Dressing.
With the additional benefit of hitting the snooze.
Quinoa, Chickpea, and Almond Salad with Roasted Scallion Dressing
- 1/4 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup uncooked bulgur wheat
- 16 scallions (about 2 bunches, hairy ends removed)
- 1/3 cup olive oil plus 2 tablespoons, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice about 1 small lemon
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 can chickpeas (14 ounces) rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup raw almonds toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup red onion finely diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Place rack in upper 1/3 of oven then preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Place quinoa in a fine mesh strainer and rinse under warm water for 1 minute to remove bitterness. Place in a medium saucepan with bulgur. Add 1 cup cold water, bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Let cook for 15 minutes, then remove from heat. Let sit, covered, for 10 minutes. Fluff with fork and let cool.
- Line a 9x13 inch rimmed baking sheet with foil or a silpat mat. Spread scallions in a single layer, then toss with 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Roast in preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, until scallions are lightly charred.
- Pulse roasted scallions in a food processor with remaining 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper, lemon juice, and Dijon mustard until mostly combined and scallions are roughly chopped. With food processor running, slowly pour the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil through the feed tube, and blend until relatively smooth and emulsified.
- While the grains are still warm, place the cooked quinoa and bulgur in a large bowl. Pour scallion dressing over the grains, then toss gently to coat. Add chickpeas, almonds, red onion, and parsley and toss until combined. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register