Hummus Chicken is the latest episode in my love affair with chickpeas and the magical, creamy dip it creates.
Hummus and I became an item the year I graduated college.
After a few months in The Real World, I reached the unpleasant conclusion that, despite my fondest wishes and most ardent of attempts, one cannot subsist on scones and Chickpea Blondies alone.
I began seeking healthy, approachable snacks and ingredients that would make it easy to bulk up my cooking in a healthy way, and hummus (along with this Greek Layer Dip) became a staple in my diet.
A simple, scrumptious blend of my beloved chickpeas, tahini (sesame paste), lemon, garlic, and olive oil, hummus is an absolutely delightful healthy snack.
As this hummus chicken recipe proves, it’s ideal for cooking too!
5 Star Review
“This was week-night dinner perfection tonight! So fast, so healthy, so yummy!”— Elizabeth —
Oh my goodness—I regret not discovering the magic that is hummus chicken sooner.
- It’s juicy—thanks to a thick coating of hummus that helps to keep the chicken breasts moist as they bake.
- It’s versatile—changing up the flavor profile of this baked chicken recipe is as simple as swapping out the flavor of hummus (but maybe save the Chocolate Hummus for dessert).
- It’s healthy—made with lean, plump chicken breasts and protein-packed hummus.
- And, the best part, it takes only five minutes to prep. Hummus chicken is a perfect 30-minute meal for busy weeknights.
How to Make Hummus Chicken
Healthy. Easy. Delicious. When it comes to dinner recipes, you can’t ask for much more than that. After trying this recipe once, you’ll be hooked on this simple, five-ingredient chicken recipe.
- Hummus. You can use any flavor of hummus you love. Try this recipe with roasted red pepper hummus one night and Edamame Hummus another.
- Chicken Breasts. High in protein and low in fat, chicken breasts are an unexpected, albeit perfect, vessel for creamy, dreamy hummus.
- Cumin and Smoked Paprika. Add awesome depth of flavor that compliment the flavor of hummus. Free free to omit depending on the hummus variety selected.
- Basil and/or Parsley. Finishes the dish with a hint of fresh herby flavor.
- Arrange the chicken breasts in a single layer in a greased baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the hummus, smoked paprika, and cumin.
- Generously top each chicken breast with the hummus mixture.
- Bake until the chicken is cooked through, remove, and garnish with herbs. ENJOY!
- To Store. Store leftover chicken in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- To Reheat. Warm the chicken on a microwave-safe plate until heated through. Warming times will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave
What to Serve with Hummus Chicken
- Salad. Delicious Mediterranean Chickpea Salad would be great paired with this chicken.
- Vegetables. Pair this chicken with Roasted Zucchini for a healthy meal.
- Rice. A side of Moroccan Couscous would be a perfect side dish.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes (and no). As with any food, it’s all about moderation. Hummus is packed with plant-based protein, fiber, and folate. However, it is also high in carbohydrates and store-bought hummus is also often high in sodium.
The chicken is fully cooked when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Bake uncovered for best results so the hummus develops a nice crust on the outside. If baked covered, steam will become trapped inside and cause the recipe to become soupy (but delicious nonetheless).
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup hummus any flavor, plus additional for dunking
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Fresh basil and/or parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a medium-sized baking dish with nonstick cooking spray, then place the chicken in the pan in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, stir together the hummus, smoked paprika, and cumin. Coat the chicken with the hummus mixture, ensuring that each breast is well covered.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through (time will vary depending upon the size of the chicken. Mine were about 9 ounces each and cooked in 22 minutes). Garnish with fresh basil and/or parsley as desired. Serve immediately with additional hummus for dipping.
- TO STORE: Leftover hummus chicken may be kept in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
- TO REHEAT: Warm the hummus chicken on a microwave-safe plate until heated through. Warming times will vary depending on the wattage of your microwave.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite projects and tutorials.Register