Berry Turmeric Smoothie
Fighting colds and flus just became exponentially more delicious thanks to this Berry Turmeric Smoothie. Made with cold-fighting foods such as blueberries, greens, turmeric, and ginger, it does double duty as both a yummy, healthy breakfast smoothie and a natural, nutrient-rich way to give your immune system a lift.
This recipe is sponsored by McCormick.
As my mother will heartily attest, as a kid I was THE WORST about taking any kind of liquid medicine, especially cold or flu medicine. I’d work myself into a reality TV–worthy fit, to the extent that she finally gave up and let me start swallowing the gel capsules at an age that I’m sure was a few years below what it says on the back of the box.
My one exception was the weird neon pink medicine that had to refrigerated, which I found oddly delicious.
TO BE CLEAR: This turmeric smoothie does not taste like the pink stuff. AT ALL.
It tastes like creamy, bright, healing berry sunshine.
Although my taste in flu and cold remedies has improved exponentially as an adult, my motivation to take it (an excuse to eat or drink something delicious) has not.
- Case in Point One: My daily multivitamin. I haven’t missed a dose ever since these delectable gummy ones were invented.
Yes, apparently I need my vitamins to taste like candy to remember to take them. Better than not taking them at all, right?
- Case in Point Two: This delicious turmeric blueberry smoothie.
This Berry Turmeric Smoothie tastes richly fruity thanks to a medley of berries, bewitchingly bright and warm thanks to the healing spices, and satisfyingly rich and creamy. It makes cold fighting delicious and enjoyable instead of a chore.
I started playing around with cold fighting smoothie recipes back when I shared this Strawberry Kiwi Smoothie. While today’s Berry Turmeric Smoothie shares a few of the same ingredients, its flavor profile is completely different.
Since this year’s cold season is supposed to be one of the worst in recent years, I added a few extra immune boosters to this turmeric smoothie recipe too.
Berry Turmeric Smoothie Ingredients
- Berries: High in antioxidants, berries help fight off the bad guys in your body and reduce inflammation. I used a blend of blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries because that is what I had available near me. If you can find açai berries, those are an excellent addition too.
- Yogurt: The probiotics in yogurt may ease the severity of colds. Look for labels that say “live and active cultures” and have added vitamin D.
- Spinach: Folate, vitamin C, and antioxidants galore. (Check out this Strawberry Spinach Smoothie for another smoothie recipe with spinach.)
- Oatmeal: A fiber in oats called beta-glucan boosts your body’s ability to fight off infections. Bonus: Oatmeal smoothies keep you full and happy for longer too.
- Ginger: One of the oldest natural remedies + even more antioxidants. Take THAT nasty cold.
- Turmeric: With ginger above in the super-duper natural remedy/antioxidant department. It’s also anti-inflammatory (as is ginger), so if you were seeking a turmeric smoothie for inflammation, this recipe has you covered there too.
For the spices, I used McCormick turmeric and ginger, because I can count on them being well sourced, and they are affordable as well. At this point, I should probably just keep them out on my counter, because I’ve been using them to make this soothing Bedtime Golden Milk almost every night (hooked!).
Like the golden milk, I’m sharing this Immune Boosting Turmeric Smoothie as a part of McCormick’s 2018 Flavor Forecast. Every December, McCormick unveils the top annual flavors and trends for the upcoming year. Hot in 2018: Drinks to Your Wellness. There’s a sip to suit every need, and at the moment, I want to do everything I can to keep my immune system strong and stay healthy.
Cue Berry Turmeric Smoothie.
This smoothie recipe is quite flexible, so feel free to adjust it to your taste.
- Smoothie for Flu or Cold Fighting. I recommend keeping the ingredients I listed above as a base, but you can feel free to add additional.
- Turmeric Banana Smoothie. Add an extra 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of banana.
- Turmeric Pineapple Smoothie. Add an extra 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup of pineapple.
- Turmeric Smoothie for Kids. Add a few extra berries to make sure that any hint of spinach is covered. I’d also recommend honey or banana to up the sweetness. The fact that this is a turmeric green smoothie can be our little secret.
- Looking for something sweeter? Try this Strawberry Smoothie or Strawberry Blueberry Smoothie.
More Healthy Smoothie Recipes
Berry Turmeric Smoothie
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk — or milk of choice
- 2 cups baby spinach — about 2 large handfuls
- 1/2 cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt — or dairy-free yogurt of choice
- 3 tablespoons old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups frozen mixed berries — I used a blend of blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick Ground Turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick Ground Ginger
- 2-3 teaspoons honey — or swap agave or maple syrup to make vegan, plus additional to taste
- Place the ingredients in a high-powered blender in the order listed: almond milk, spinach, yogurt, oats, berries, turmeric, ginger, and 2 teaspoons honey. Blend until smooth. Taste and adjust sweetness as desired. If you do not have a high-powered blender, I recommend blending the almond milk, spinach, and yogurt first, and then adding the other ingredients. Enjoy immediately.
Nutrition InformationAmount per serving (1 (of 2), about 10 ounces) — Calories: 151, Fat: 2g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Sodium: 124mg, Carbohydrates: 27g, Fiber: 4g, Sugar: 16g, Protein: 8g
Did you try this recipe? I want to see! Follow Well Plated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. I love to know what you are making!
I am sharing this post in partnership with McCormick. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for supporting the brands and companies that make it possible for me to continue to create quality content for you!
This post contains some affiliate links, which means that I make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.