As an “adult” far removed from the classroom, I subconsciously look for signs that tell me I can set down my pencil and put away my backpack. School’s out, let summer begin! One of the earliest indicators that my favorite season has arrived is the first time we fire up our grill. I finally cleared that bad boy off this week, which means it is time for my go-to Grilled Shrimp Seasoning!
This Grilled Shrimp Seasoning is only four ingredients, three if you discount the salt. I bet you have all of them in your pantry right now.
It doesn’t require you to marinade the shrimp first. As someone who loves the idea of grilled shrimp marinade (especially if it’s for Coconut Pineapple Shrimp Skewers) but often lacks the foresight or patience to marinate it first, not needing to block off the extra prep time earns this recipe a shiny gold star in my dinner book.
No grill? No problem! You can use this same Grilled Shrimp Seasoning to make baked shrimp instead.
And, this Grilled Shrimp Seasoning’s most important feature of all: it makes some seriously juicy, fabulously flavored grilled garlic shrimp.
It even works wonderfully on a grilled Shrimp Burger.
Ready to live your best, easiest summer life? Me too! Let’s grill!
Easy Grilled Shrimp Seasoning – Here’s How to Season Your Shrimp
If you’ve been wondering what spices are good for shrimp, this combo nails it:
- Garlic: Garlic and shrimp are flavor besties. We’ve been here before (ahem, Garlic Shrimp Pasta; Garlic Shrimp with Quinoa; Healthy Shrimp Scampi), and we are going back again.
- Kosher Salt: A seasoning essential.
- Italian Seasoning: Surprising and delightful with grilled garlic shrimp. I love Italian seasoning because it gives you a mix of herbs and spices in every spoonful.
- Cayenne: The subtle heat (or not so subtle heat depending upon your preference) comes at the end and will have your reaching for a second helping.
Like my perfect Salmon Seasoning, you can mix this Grilled Shrimp Seasoning blend up in advance and store it in an airtight container if you like.
Then, when it’s time to grill, mix it with a fresh squeeze of lemon, drizzle of olive oil, and your shrimp are ready for the barbie.
I use this seasoning most often as a grilled shrimp skewers recipe because I find skewers to be the easiest, but if you decide to bake the shrimp instead (or if your shrimp are large enough to fit on the grill grates directly), you can skip them.
For easy grilled shrimp recipes, I like these double prong grill skewers. I used simple wood skewers for the photos. If you go the wood route, be sure to soak the skewers first or they will burn (trust me).
Make Ahead and Storage Tips
- To Store. Grilled shrimp is best enjoyed the day it is made but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. I like to use the leftovers on top of salad or tossed with pasta.
- To Make Ahead. You can multiply this seasoning blend by as many times as you like, then store it in a jar. For each pound of shrimp, use 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon.
What to Serve with Grilled Shrimp
Now that you’re primed for some juicy bbq grilled shrimp, let’s talk about what to serve alongside it. A few of my favorites:
- Grilled Cauliflower Steaks
- Any Hearty Salad: Italian Farro Salad; Moroccan Chickpea Salad; Watermelon Feta Salad.
- Tomato Eggplant Zucchini Bake
- Vegan Risotto. Adding this shrimp will make this not-so-vegan, but if that’s not an issue, these two dishes would be a yummy combo.
- Slow Cooker Wild Rice Pilaf. Perfect if you are avoiding the oven.
- Crispy Oven Roasted Brussels Sprouts, or really any roasted vegetable. Perfect if you don’t mind turning on the oven.
- Any kind of grilled vegetable skewers.
In many ways, this deliciously simple grilled shrimp recipe reflects how I hope our summers will be.
It’s low-maintenance, quick enough to allow you to be spontaneous, and made to be shared.
Put down your pencils and pick up your grill tongs. School’s out and bbq shrimp are in!
Grilled Shrimp Seasoning
For the Shrimp Seasoning:
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper use 1/4 if sensitive to spice
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon freshly-squeezed lemon juice from about 1/2 small lemon
- 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined (use jumbo, 15-18 count shrimp to cook directly on the grill without skewers; if using smaller shrimp, skewer then cook for less time)
- Canola or vegetable oil for the grill
- Preheat an indoor grill pan or outdoor grill to high. To cook the shrimp in the oven, preheat the broiler. If broiling, line a sheet pan with foil and coat with nonstick spray.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the seasoning ingredients: garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, and cayenne. Drizzle in the olive oil and lemon juice and stir into a paste.
- Add the shrimp and toss to coat. If using smaller shrimp, thread them on metal skewers or wooden skewers that have been soaked in water for at least 1 hour. Brush the grill or grill pan with canola oil. Grill or broil the shrimp, just until pink and opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes per side, turning once half way through (discard the extra liquid/spices that is left at the bottom of the bowl). Serve immediately.
- Grilled shrimp is best enjoyed the day it is made but can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days. I like to use the leftovers on top of salad or tossed with pasta.
- Make ahead tip: You can multiply this seasoning blend by as many times as you like, then store it in a jar. For each pound of shrimp, use 1 tablespoon, plus 1/2 teaspoon.
- Nutritional information is an estimate and had been calculated using half the amount of the spices and marinade to account for the portion that is left in the bottom of the bowl.
Join today and start saving your favorite recipes
Create an account to easily save your favorite recipes and access FREE meal plans.Sign Me Up
We just finally bought a grill this year, and I am SO excited to finally be able to grill skewers/kabobs for summer!!
DESTINY!!! Thanks and hope you love these!
hey girl- this makes me sooo hungry for shrimp right now! Supper time! Y’all have a great weekend! I’ll be going to a bake sale tomorrow for our church kids they are raising money for camp next month! I made choc. chip cookies and peanut butter oatmeal cookies (yummy).
Shawnna, that sounds like a wonderful weekend, and you are so generous. Enjoy!
Wow, this is SO easy!! Love it!
Hi Erin! This one was not a winner for me, sorry lady! I think it was the Italian Seasoning that didn’t win me over. But the cayenne provided a nice heat to it and they were super easy to make!
Hi Cat! I’m sorry this didn’t hit the spot for you. Maybe next time you can try it without Italian seasoning. Regardless, I know it’s disappointing to try a new recipe and not have it come out as expected, so I wish you would have loved it!
Oh I definitely will try it again without the Italian Seasoning. I wouldn’t call this a disappointment. Half of the fun of cooking is trying new things – even if they aren’t what you expected! (Plus, I usually make a smaller batch when I try something new so if I don’t love it, I don’t feel like I wasted a lot.)
I’m glad Cat. And I love your attitude too :)
Delicious! Cooked on the grill and served with basmati rice and grilled zucchini. Everything came together quickly and it was the perfect light meal. Looking forward to making this a lot this summer.
Thank you so much for the positive feedback, Kerrie! I am thrilled it will be a regular in your meal rotation this summer. Enjoy!
Tested this out for Memorial Day and we loved it! Going to serve to my guests with veggie skewers on the side. Thanks for an easy recipe!
So happy to hear you loved it! Perfect for Memorial Day!! Thanks for the positive feedback!
Erin, I followed your recipe adding paprika and a bit less cayenne to the blend. I couldn’t resist throwing a few skewers of fresh mushrooms and baby sweet peppers also dusted in the shrimp seasoning, onto the grill. Best kabobs ever! We stuffed it all into grilled pita bread and spooned in my homemade zitziki sauce. Sooo good! I want to experiment and try this blend on boneless chicken!
Hi Alan! Thank you so much for the positive feedback! Your mushroom/sweet pepper skewers sound incredibly delicious. Let me know what you think if you try the spice blend with chicken – enjoy!
Super easy and super delicious just as described! This will become a weeknight staple this summer!
SOOO happy to hear it Elaine! THANK YOU! Happy grilling :)
Thos was so easy and very good. Will make it again and again.
SO happy to hear it Gail, THANK YOU!
This was seriously amazing. My husband, 14-year-old son and I practically fought each other over the shrimp when if came off the grill. I followed the recipe exactly and will again and again! Soooo good! Thank you!!!
Susan, YAY!!!! I’m so, soooo happy to hear this, thank you!
First time in this website and of course, making this recipe! Delicious! Used 2 lbs of shrimp with the same amount of seasoning and it was just right for my MIL and me. We are doing the OPTAVIA diet so this went perfect with our salad! Thank you!
I’m so glad you enjoyed it, Simara! Thanks for taking the time to leave this review!
Wow that was super good! Im going to have it as my starter plate when my family comes in town. Instead of the kosher salt i used Mr Binghams seasoning and i really think it made it just near perfect.
James, thanks for reporting back! I’m glad you enjoyed the recipe!
If I’m baking them in the oven what do I preheat the oven to and how long should I bake the shrimp?
Hi Bryan! If you want to make the shrimp in the oven, preheat your broiler, then broil the shrimp for about 2-3 minutes per side or until pink and opaque. I hope this helps and that you love the recipe!
Delicious! Super flavorful with just the right amount of kick. Seasoning would be great on chicken too.
Thanks for sharing this review, Celena! I’m glad you enjoyed it.
These shrimp are so delicious! Cooks very quickly and no mess. Such great flavor and nice and easy to make. Loved using the skewers. Thanks for your recipe!
YAY! Thank you for sharing this kind review, Debbie! I’m so happy you enjoyed this recipe!
This was very tasty and easy. A keeper for us!
YAY! I’m so happy to hear that this recipe was a hit, Karen! Thank you for taking the time to share this kind review!
This was absolutely amazing. I replaced the cayenne with chipotle powder (not any moment of brilliance, pure accident). Use the same approach with some catfish fillets that I finished in the oven. As good as the shrimp was, the catfish was even better, so this recipe isn’t just limited to shrimp! I can’t wait to try it with other meats.
YAY! I’m so happy to hear that you enjoyed this seasoning, Jessica! Thank you for taking the time to share this kind review!
Thank you Erin! Was looking for simple and delicious shrimp recipe yesterday and this one delivered! Unfortunately my store did not have fresh shrimp, so had to use frozen which still tasted great. I used only 1/4 tsp of cayenne and it still had a good kick. I will definitely add this to my dinner rotation.
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Diane! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
I substituted French Provençal herbs instead of Italian herbs and it has a great taste.
I’m happy that you enjoyed it, Shyamadas! Thanks for sharing your results!
how do I make it in the oven, On a sheet pan? Need more info as to the method.
Hi Roberto! If you want to make the shrimp in the oven, preheat your broiler, then broil the shrimp on a sheet pan for about 2-3 minutes per side or until pink and opaque. I hope this helps and that you love the recipe!
We tried this last week and thoroughly enjoyed our shrimp dinner I had gotten colossal shrimp and it worked out great for them, thank you for the super simple seasoning for shrimp! we will have more often, we do eat a lot of chicken and I am wondering how this goes on Chicken?
Thank you very much!
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Mollie! I haven’t tried it on chicken myself, but I think it sounds tasty. If you decide to try it, I’d love to hear how it goes!
Good recipe! Nice seasoning combo. My only recommendation would be to cut the salt in half.
I’m so happy that you enjoyed it, Minih! Thank you for sharing this kind review!
I agree about the salt. Maybe even cut it down 3/4. Otherwise, very good.
enjoyed and learned from your site
I’m so happy to hear that, Dave!
Delicious recipe, it was a hit with my family. I will definitely use this recipe again. Thanks for posting.
Hi Mary! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
I don’t have a grill yet I moved recently
And I don’t want to use the oven necessarily
Can I cook these on the stove top in skillet?
Hi Carrey, I haven’t tried using this recipe for skillet shrimp, so you would be experimenting. Have you seen this https://www.wellplated.com/garlic-butter-shrimp/ It’s made in the skillet! Hope this helps!
Very good and very easy to make definitely would recommend and definitely will make this again 👍👍
Hi Hossam! So glad you enjoyed it! Thank you for this kind review!
So like… Are these shrimp pre cooked? I’m so confused.
Hi Jon, you will use 1 pound shrimp peeled and deveined. This is raw shrimp because you will be cooking them on the grill. Hope you enjoy the recipe if you decide to try it out!
Really good! I deceased the salt by half and every one loved it. Will make again. Thank you for the recipe
Hi Michael! So glad you enjoyed them! Thank you for this kind review!
The seasoning recommended here was absolutely terrific. I just polished off a pound of grilled shrimp all by myself. This is now my go to for grilled shrimp.
Hi John! So glad you enjoyed the shrimp! Thank you for this kind review!
I have made shrimp a variety of ways and am usually disappointed. After using this simple recipe and being careful about the time I grilled the shrimp I was blown away!! Absolutely the best shrimp I’ve ever made, even better than shrimp that I’ve ordered at restaurants. I’m so relieved and won’t be shying away from preparing shrimp in the future. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!
Hi Terry! So glad you enjoyed the shrimp! Thank you for this kind review!
First time making it and we were all delighted!
Hi KD! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
The best shrimp I’ve ever made at home. I could have eaten the entire pound of shrimp, but unfortunately, had to share it with my family. This will become a regular rotation in our household. I followed the recipe exactly as written, and it turned out perfect.
Hi Becca! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
This was very Flavorful!! Love this!!
Hi Leslie! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
So simple and soooo good. This is my go to for shrimp seasoning.
Hi Pam! So glad you enjoyed the recipe! Thank you for this kind review!
I liked the simplicity of the recipe. I had all the ingredients on hand and didn’t need to wait to grill. My only note is the salt content was a bit high for me. Next time I’ll choose 1/4 tsp instead a a whole tsp. Otherwise it was great!
Hi Andrea! Great to hear! Just by chance, did you use kosher salt or table salt?